Do any of you find breakfast foods somewhat limited and often redundant? I love breakfast meals because they're usually quick to whip up, but oftentimes I feel like I eat the same things - eggs, veggies, fruit, and potatoes. I'm not one for sweet foods in the morning either so pancakes, waffles, and oatmeal are definitely out of the question. One of my many food philosophies is that a dish should have 3 main pillars - flavor, color, & texture! When a dish has those 3 components it'll truly satisfy even the pickiest of palates! To me, flavor, color, and texture is what completes a dish. In my 14 years of cooking professionally I've found that these 3 characteristics make a winning meal! Which leads me to this - eggs, veggies, fruit, and potatoes fill the flavor & color categories, but it doesn't cover the texture category. Most savory breakfast foods are creamy, chewy, or soft in texture, but they lack crunch! I don't know about y'all, but I LOVE CRUNCH! So one morning I was looking in my pantry for something to pair with my eggs, and I found tostada rounds! Huh, I thought! I love making tostadas! Why not make a breakfast tostada?! Tostadas are super easy to make because once all of your ingredients are cooked and prepped, it literally takes minutes to put together! When I made my breakfast tostada, I thought super soft and fluffy scrambled eggs would be best instead over-easy eggs. In order to maintain a cispy tostada shell, we should avoid any extra moisture! Runny eggs would ruin the crunchy texture we know and love! Quick tip: In order to achieve soft & fluffy scrambled eggs we need more olive oil than we normally use! Olive oil has a low smoke point, therefore it won't fry the eggs keeping them soft in texture. I like to generously coat my pan with olive oil, about an 1/8 of a cup. I also cook my eggs on a low-medium heat so I don't run the risk of them overcooking. Now, this recipe requires salsa! Feel free to use an salsa you like, but if you'd like to try my Sassy Roasted Salsa, here is the link:
https://www.yoursassychef.com/single-post/2019/06/01/One-Pan-Roasted-Salsa So without further ado... here is the recipe: Time: 15 Minutes
Yields: 1-2 Servings
Ingredients 2 tostada rounds 4 eggs 1/8 cup of olive oil 1 teaspoon of Pink Himalayan Salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 an avocado
1 cup spinach leaves
A few slices of red onion
1/2 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
A few drizzles of salsa (see my roasted salsa recipe above)
1. Chop the red onion & cilantro
2. Crack the 4 eggs in a bowl. Whisk the eggs. Add the salt and pepper.
3. Place an omelet pan over low-medium heat. Wait 30 seconds before add the olive oil. Generously coat the olive oil with the pan.
4. Add the eggs, toss the eggs around with a spatula to avoid overcooking. The cooking process should take a few minutes. The eggs should be a bright warm yellow!
5. Place the tostada shells on a plate. Smash the avocado and spread it on top of the tostada rounds. Feel free to sprinkle salt & pepper on top of the avocado. Rip up the spinach leaves and evenly distribute them on the shells. Place the eggs on top of the shells, sprinkle the onions & cilantro on top. Drizzle with salsa.