TEAM! Who loves January? The holidays are over, the year is new, AND it's citrus season! I'm already a huge fan of anything citrus! However, come January, the oranges are sweeter, the lemons are juicier, and the grapefruit is fruitier!
Growing up, my dad would always feed us a half a grapefruit topped with one teaspoon of sugar! As comforting as it sounds, now that I'm a grownup, I couldn't even fathom putting a whole teaspoon of sugar on half of a grapefruit! I'm trying to avoid adult on-set diabetes, you know what I'm saying? Unfortunately, grapefruits only have that same level of sweetness during citrus season. And considering that it only comes once a year, we BETTER take advantage of it!
My favorite part of being a chef is the actual creation process of piecing unexpected flavors together. Years ago I came across a recipe that paired oranges with olives, and then I figured, why not use grapefruits instead of oranges and throw it on fish?! And guess what?! It turned out delicious! Blends of sweet, savory, and salty truly give this dish a soft & delectable flavor! It's quite lovely!
So here it is, my Baked Lemon Cod with Grapefruit & Green Olive salad! If you don't like fish, not to worry! You can pair this with chicken. I serve the chicken version to my meal prep clients and they love it!
TIME: 25 MIN
YIELDS: 4 SERVINGS
CAL 281g | CARBS 23g | FAT 7g | PROTEIN 27g
1 pound of wild alaskan cod, cut in chunks
1 small lemon, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small white onion chopped in half. We are only using one of the halves. The other half will be used for the salad.
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1 1/2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons of Pink Himalayan salt
1-2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare the lemon & garlic as listed above!
3. Take one of the halves of the onion and slice it super thin.
4. Place the cod a non-stick sheet pan (or a pan with oil). Evenly distribute the garlic, onion, lemon, oregano, balsamic vinegar, Himalayan salt & pepper over the chunks of Cod.
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Prepare the Grapefruit & Green Olive Salad while the fish is cooking!
2 grapefruits, supreme
1/4 cup of sliced green olives, drained
4-5 grape tomatoes sliced in half
2 cups of greens (I like arugula)
1/2 of the white onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons of white, rice wine, or cider vinegar
Pinch of Himalayan Salt & Black Pepper
1. Supreme the grapefruits by slicing the top and bottom. Set the cut side up. Slice lengthwise between flesh and peel/pith. This part gets messy so make sure you have a large cutting board. Slice the whole grapefruit in half lengthwise. Place the halves face down on the cutting board. Slice lengthwise between each segment, cutting along the white membrane. Pull segment out and repeat with each segment. Place all grapefruit segments into a large bowl.
Feel free to YouTube this if you have any questions. Here is a video if you need assistance: https://youtu.be/-veJClpdyMA
2. Prepare the tomato and onion as listed above. Toss the sliced tomato, sliced onion, green olives, and greens into the bowl with grapefruit. Add the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix until well-combined.
Plate the salad with the whitefish!