Ok, Sassy fam! This is a FABULOUS summer dish if I do say so myself! It's light, fresh, flavorful, and leaves you feeling super satisfied without feeling super heavy!
My sassy shrimp & avocado pasta salad is bursting with flavor & nutrients! We use Banza Rotini Chick Pea Pasta for this recipe because it has twice the amount of protein, three times the amount of fiber, and 30% fewer net carbs than traditional bleached flour pasta you get from the store! Out of all the gluten-free pasta on the shelves, Banza has AMAZING texture, flavor, and never turns mushy when cooked correctly!
So here it is, friends! My Chimichurri Shrimp & Avocado Pasta Salad! Make this dish for yourself and/or your loved ones! Share this recipe with your friends! Feel free to take a pic of your finished product and tag me on Instagram @Ursassychef! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
TIME: 30 Minutes
YIELDS: 4-5 Servings
CAL 360 | CARB 20 | FAT 26 | PROTEIN 12
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup chopped cilantro (be sure to chop by hand and not by using the food processor, we want the leaves to be somewhat chunky)
Zest and juice of one small lemon
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small jalapeno, diced (seeds optional - depends how spicy you want it)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
3/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon of honey
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1. Let's start with the chimichurri sauce! Chop the cilantro, garlic, and jalapeno as listed above. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl. Use a microplane to zest the lemon peel directly into the bowl. Be sure to only zest the yellow peel and not the white pith otherwise the sauce will be bitter. Quarter the lemon and juice it directly into the bowl!
3. Whisk the chimichurri until the oil & vinegar emulsify, will take a few minutes.
4. Cover the bowl and store in the refrigerator while we prepare the pasta ingredients.
1 box of Banza Rotini Chick Pea Pasta
1 pound of raw thawed jumbo prawns, shells on
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup of red onion, julienned (sliced thin)
1/2 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 medium cucumber, seeded and quartered into small pieces
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced in to small pieces
2 teaspoons of Himalayan Salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper divided
1. Place 8 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of Himalayan Salt in a large pot. Place the pot over high heat. When the water comes to a rolling boil, add the Banza Rotini. It's important to add olive oil to the water so the pasta doesn't clump when it's done cooking. Cook for 4-6 minutes or until al dente. You need to keep an eye on the pasta while it cooks. You don't want it to turn mushy. Drain and rinse the pasta with room temperature water. Place the pasta in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Slice the red onion as listed above. In a small bowl, combine the red onion, olive oil, vinegar, honey, and a pinch of salt & pepper in a small bowl. Cover it with saran wrap and place it in the fridge to pickle.
3. Add 4 cups of water to a medium pot with 1/2 teaspoon of Himalayan salt and a pinch of black pepper. Bring the water to a rolling boil. Drop the prawns (with the shells on) in the water. We want to cook the prawns inside the shells for optimal flavor! Cook for about 3 minutes or until bright pink. Drain prawns in a colander and then put them on ice to cool down. Set aside.
4. Chop the cucumber & tomato as listed above and then place both in the same bowl with the pasta. Toss and set aside.
5. By now the shrimp should be cooled off. Peel and devein the shrimp and then toss it in the same bowl with the pasta.
6. Grab the bowl of red onions out of the fridge. Drain most of the vinegar out, and then toss the onions with the pasta.
7. Now we can add the chimichurri! Slowly add the chimichurri in a 1/4 cup at a time. Be sure to toss the pasta salad after each quarter cup you add! You may have some chimichurri leftover depending on how "dressed" you want to pasta salad to be! You definitely want the salad to have great flavor, but you don't want it oily. Give the pasta salad another quick stir and then add any additional salt and pepper to taste! Store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to serving time! The colder it is, the better it tastes!
8. Garnish the pasta salad with fresh avocado slices and pumpkin seeds. I like to sprinkle the avocado with a dash of smoked paprika to make it extra sassy! Serve immediately!