Hey guys! Guess what? As luck would have it, I wrote this blog post as I celebrated my honeymoon in the Mediterranean! Crazy, right? You're probably thinking, "Why is she blogging on her honeymoon?" As luck would have it, we had a quick stop en route to Granada after leaving the beautiful Balearic Island of Mallorca. So fortunately for me (and you) I was able to get a quick blogging session in!
Life in Mallorca is anything but mediocre! We stayed in Palma, where the soft island breeze hits the bustling historic city landscape. The cobblestone streets are filled with excited tourists, awaiting their tables at a local eatery. Mallorca has fine and reputable indulgences!
The main highlight of Palma is the grand cathedral. This vast estate dates back to the 1200's! Combinations of gothic architecture paired with electrifying stain-glass windows truly make it a sight to see!
We took a drive across the island of Mallorca, so we could enjoy the tranquil seaside town of Soller! Our commute was occupied with picturesque mountain ranges, families of sheep, and speedy European motorcyclists. Oftentimes I thought we were going to crash into them. In Soller we relaxed on sandy beaches and took a dip in the refreshing deep blue sea, just prior to enjoying a plate of paella!
Friends, please put Mallorca on the bucket list! Everything you need in a vacation is nestled right here on this beautiful island in Mediterranean Sea!
While honeymooning through Spain, we often feasted on Paella. This plant-based recipe was inspired by the various paellas we were able to indulge in during our travels. Here is my plant-based, low-carb, clean-eating version of Paella!
1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
1 small red onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup button mushrooms white or cremini, sliced
½ cup sundried tomatoes, sliced
½ cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced in half vertically
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon each - fresh basil, fresh mint, fresh oregano- chiffonade (or a 1/2 teaspoon of dried)
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil - divided
1 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Zest and juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees.
2. Chop head of cauliflower into florets and place in food processor. Pulse until it starts to resemble rice; set aside.
3. Slice and prepare the onion, garlic, and mushrooms as listed above.
4. In a large bowl toss together cauliflower rice, sliced mushrooms, sliced onions, minced garlic, half the amount of salt and pepper, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place veggies on a non-stick sheet pan and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. While the cauliflower rice is roasting, prepare and slice olives, sundried tomatoes, and fresh herbs as listed above. Set all ingredients aside together in a large bowl.
6. When the cauliflower rice is done cooking pour contents into the bowl with the sundried tomatoes, olives, etc...
7. Toss everything together. Zest and juice the lemon directly into th bowl using a microplane or a zester. Add in the remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste!
8. Serve and garnish with sliced almonds.