Hello my friends! My prologue to this recipe will be kept short and sweet!
I've been wanting to create a lemon-strawberry dessert for years. I LOVE lemons & strawberries! The combination of these ingredients are lovely, fresh, and perfect for spring! However, the urgency of this recipe deemed not quite necessary. I guess it took a pandemic to make my dream come to fruition? Either way, it's done, it's delicious, and it's posted on the blog! I can finally move on with my life.
This recipe is broken up into three parts. The first part is the crust, the second part is the lemon curd, the third part is the strawberry topping. Be sure to read the entire recipe before executing it. Gathering the ingredients prior to starting helps the process run efficiently. It may seem like there's a lot of steps to this recipe, but once you read the method components you'll see how easily it flows!
Please enjoy my Sassy Berry Lemon Tart! It's gluten, grain, dairy, and sugar free! Keep eating clean on quarantine, friends! Hope you love it!
TIME: 40 Minutes
YIELDS: 8-10 Servings
2 cups of almond flour
2 tablespoons of Truvia or Monkfruit Sweetener
2/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
A pinch of Himalayan salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine all of the crust ingredients in a food processor and blend until well combined.
3. Spray a pie plate (if you don't have a tart pan) with cooking spray. Using your fingers, press the crust directly into the plate. You can use the back of a spatula to smooth out the crust evenly, getting rid of lumps. Press the crust all the way up the sides of the plate, and then use the back of a fork to imprint the circumference of the crust.
4. Par bake the crust for 15 minutes. Pull it out of the oven and set it aside. Keep the oven on.
Note: Almond flour crust can be very sticky and flimsy. It's best to press the crust into the plate using your fingers as opposed to rolling it out with a pie crust roller! One less piece of equipment to wash!
While the crust is baking, let's work on the Lemon Curd!
Lemon Curd Filling
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup of Truvia or Monkfruit sweetener plus 1 tablespoon
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1/8 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
1. Place all of the filling ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Whisk until the filling becomes thick. Be sure to constantly stir the filling otherwise the eggs will clump. We don't want the lemon curd to turn into scrambled eggs! This process may take up to 10 minutes.
3. Once the lemon curd is thick, take it off the heat immediately. Pour the lemon curd directly onto the par baked crust. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
While the pie is baking, let's work on the Strawberry topping!
1 pound of strawberries, quartered
1/4 cup of Truvia or Monkfruit
1 teaspoon of vanilla
A pinch of Himalayan salt
1. Place all of the ingredients in a saucepan (you can use the same pan you used for the lemon curd, just make sure it's washed) over medium heat.
2. Simmer until the strawberry topping becomes thick and turns into a glaze. This can take up to 15 minutes. If you happen to have Swerve's confectioners sweetener (sugar-free confectioners), feel free to use it instead of the Truvia/Monkfruit. The strawberry topping will thicken up faster!
1. Pour the strawberry topping on top of the pie.
2. Use a spatula to evenly spread the strawberries on the pie.
3. Cool for 15 minutes before refrigeration.
4. Place the tart in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours prior to serving time. The colder it is, the better it tastes! Enjoy!
TIME: 40 Min
Yields: 8-10 Servings