In this week's post of, "Hump-Day Hearty Meals" I'm featuring a super easy, classic dish with a paleo spin! You're going to love my sweet potato burgers! They're loaded with nutrients, flavor, and all the fixings needed to keep you energized till Friday!
I've broken this recipe down into parts, thus making it easier to follow!
Enjoy, Sassy Fam!
Sweet Potato Buns
1 - 2 large sweet potatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel both sweet potatoes and slice them widthwise and a 1/2 inch thick. The shape of the "bun" should be circular, not long.
3. Line "buns" on a greased or non-stick sheet pan. Spray the sweet potatoes with cooking spray so they'll become somewhat crispy, not soft.
4. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until caramelized and tender.
While the sweet potato buns are roasting, let's start on the beef patties!
1 lb ground beef
1 medium red onion, 1/2 sliced, 1/2 small diced - divided
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
2 teaspoons Himalayan Salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Prepare the onions and garlic as listed above. 1/2 of the onion will be diced and added to the burger patties. The other half of th onion will be sliced and used as a garnish to the burgers.
2. Mix all of the ingredients (except for the sliced red onion) into a large bowl.
3. Scoop out half cup servings, hand patty them, and then place them onto a greased/non-stick sheet pan. There should be a total of 4 patties.
4. Spray the tops of the burgers with cooking spray. Bake in the oven for 16-18 minutes or until burger is cooked to your liking - medium/medium well. The internal temperature of the patty should be at least 145 degrees.
If you time it correctly, both the patties & sweet potato buns should be done at the same time. Just fyi, you may need to eat your burger with a knife and fork!
Now, these are YOUR burgers so you can garnish them as you please. However, I used the following toppings, and my burgers turned out quite spectacular!
Primal Kitchen Foods Paleo Mayo
Red Onion Slices
And just so you know, I served my burgers with a side of roasted asparagus!